Saturday, October 17, 2015

Goodness

I love to cook and bake. Trying new recipes and making up my own tasty concoctions is what I call fun. My family enjoys that I have this hobby as well. My husband especially loves it when I use the Crock-pot. In his words “It’s a magical pot!” Well, at least that’s how they feel most of the time, there is what has been dubbed "the 1%."

A few days ago I created an extremely delicious looking chicken pot pie. The sauce was thick and creamy and filled with chicken, carrots, peas, onions and some nose tickling, yummy smelling herbs. It was topped off with golden brown, flaky biscuits. The whole house was bathed in the aroma of creamy, bubbly, splendidness and the dish looked gorgeous. The children came into the kitchen to watch me prepare it and there were smiles on their faces as they licked their lips in anticipation. Finally, it was time to gobble up the goodness!

Plates were piled high, the blessing was said, forks were raised, and mouths eagerly received the food. Suddenly, eyes closed, lips curled, forks dropped, and my loving husband gazed across the table and said “This is really bad isn’t it?” We all agreed and were very grateful that there was instant oatmeal in the pantry.

What went wrong? How could this happen? This dish was not destined to be in the 1%! It was beautiful. It was made with love. It smelled like a warm hug (if that has a smell). It had all the right stuff and it was really good, until we tasted it.

As it just so happens, it was entirely my fault. I think the recipe called for 2 teaspoons of thyme … it got 2 Tablespoons … maybe more. I tried to correct it but the more I tried to scoop it out the more incorporated it became. I decided it would be fine since it still smelled and looked so good. The problem was I had defined goodness superficially. I didn’t stop and consider that the real definition of goodness, when it comes to cooking, is how good it tastes.

I am quite convinced that I fall into this trap often when it comes to what the definition of goodness is in my Christian life. I think I am a fairly good gal. I do all the stuff I am supposed to do. I go to all the right places and say all of the right things. I give to those in need. I open up my home to people. I care for my children and my husband. I offer my time and energy to my friends. I don’t give into the “works of the flesh” (Galatians 5:19-21) and I know all about the “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23).  My good deeds seem numerous at times and I try to fill my home with all the good things I can but, am I full of that fruit that is of the Spirit? Am I full of that goodness? 

When Jesus was asked by the rich young man “what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16) Jesus tells the young man that there is only one who is good and that to have eternal life he must keep His commandments. There is momentary joy; the young man already does all the good stuff. He already keeps all the commandments. He thinks he is all set and asks “What do I still lack?” (Matthew 19:20) Jesus tells the young man that he cannot merely keep the commandments and go through the motions. Jesus says that he must give up all that he has. He has to sacrifice what he thinks is important; in this case his vast wealth. He must make Christ and following Him in His ministry the center of his life. His deeds, no matter how amazing, really don’t do anything to secure his eternal life if they are void of devotion to “God who is the source of all good, including eternal life” (ESV Study Bible note). This proves to be too much for this young man and he goes away saddened by the thought of such a great sacrifice (Matthew 19:22). 

This young man was a good guy by the standards of the law. He did all the good stuff and went to all the good places. He knew all the right things to say and all the commandments to keep. But he was not full of goodness. I know this may seem to be a harsh thing to say about the rich young man but if we are honestly looking at what the text says, the logical conclusion to draw for him and for me is that even if I am doing all the good stuff and I do not fill my heart and soul with devotion to Christ, I am not full of goodness. My question then is the same as the apostles after this event. 

“‘Who then can be saved?’ But Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’ Then Peter said in reply, ‘See, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.’” (Matthew 19:26-29) 

Much like my beautiful chicken pot pie, I am deeply flawed on the inside. Even in the midst of all the good I may profess or that may be seen outwardly I am not good enough. My words are not always seasoned well, I am broken, and I struggle. I may do many things that look good to those around me but there is only one who is truly good. Through Him, eternal life in heaven is possible, not easy but possible. His goodness was made known to us through the tremendous act of love through Christ on the cross. Unless “I have been crucified with Christ,” and “it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20) I cannot be full of true goodness and I cannot receive the inheritance of eternal life. If I am willing to leave behind whatever earthly distraction stands in the way and follow Him then I will be full of goodness, not my own but, the goodness of God. 

5 comments:

  1. Excellent thoughts Amanda. May we all strive for goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Interestingly enough I recently made a dish that I thought was going to be great and it bombed! But I am glad that your chicken pot pie blooper led to a spiritual lesson that you chose to share. I have been blessed. Thank you. Sally Shank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing insight Amanda. I love the analogy. Your ability to put into words so that we may understand is profoundly insightful for a young woman. Thank you for sharing your heart and theses words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... did anyone else break into song as they read the scripture from Galatians 2?

    Seriously, though. Those are lovely sentiments, Amanda, and I thank you for sharing them. No matter your background in life, I think we can all relate to those moments where fervent anticipation was met with such great disappointment. Sometimes, we are the cause of that disappointment, and sometimes, we are the recipient. May we desire to do God's will and stow His word within our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Every time I read it I sing it in my head. You are not alone! :)

      Thank you for your thoughts. I agree that we have to focus on God's will for us and allow Him to fill us so completely that even in our disappointments we can still say "not my will but yours."

      Delete